Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Little About Me & My Birds

I know it has a little about me in my description but I know that doesn't really tell you much.  Well my name is Elizabeth I am 31 years old.  I have lived in Chicago all my life but I know that I really don't belong here.  I am waiting for the day that I have enough money to get up and leave this place.  Thanks to an ex boyfriend I still have a couple more years to go.  The thing is sometimes I get down and/or frustrated but I know that I will be okay.  I am currently employed at a bank but I don't necessarily see that as my dream job in the future.  I would love to do something that I really enjoy, like something that has to do with plants, crafts, nature, or my pets or all of the above somehow.  Though I haven't figured out what that could be yet...  I love children but don't have any of my own yet (when I find the right man hopefully I will) I guess I have pets in the place but it still doesn't completely fill that void.
I currently have two sun conures, there is Solie and Tango.  They are a male and female but unfortunately Solie though she has other birds in the room and associates with them still refuses to be friends with him, she tolerates him to a point but still tries to bite if he comes too close.  At this point they still live in separate cages.  I got Solie in 2005 when she was first weened by a breeder, though he was much more than that, he was one of the nicest people I have met and could talk to him for hours.  I guess he doesn't breed suns anymore because his health is starting to be a burden and he doesn't have the time or energy for as many birds.  I started out with one lovebird in 2003 a couple of months later got a second one, a year later got two more and now have 14 birds plus the 5 chicks.  The weird thing is that I got lucky with pairs the lovebirds that I got were for pets I had no idea what sex they were and it ended up that I have two pairs that were able to reproduce.  I never actually expected to have babies, I always thought it would be nice to have a few but not my mission.  My first pair has produced many babies I still have 3 of them.  I also have 3 from the second pair as well.  That pretty much explains having 10 lovebirds.  The 3 baby lovebirds that I have at this point are actually grandchildren of the first birds.  Unfortunately I came to the realization the other day that I will not have any more babies from my first lovies.  She laid eggs the last two years that weren't fertile.  I wasn't even trying to breed her but I felt bad for her sitting at the bottom of the cage at that certain time of year and added a box.  She laid eggs in the beginning of Jan 2013 and they didn't hatch so this is the last time   I will give her the nest box.  Laying and sitting on eggs takes a lot of energy out of a bird and I would love to have her many more years.  She is about nine now and they can live between 10-20 years.  As for my other pair they probably won't have anymore either she hasn't even seemed to have the urge to lay eggs which I am glad for so I just let her be.  Now on the other hand my green cheek conure Cricket I have had since 2005 as well and I never knew what sex she was either until the beginning of January when she laid her first egg.  I got her a friend, Stormy a Turquoise Green Cheek who was a DNA sexed male almost two years ago and after about a year let them live in the same cage.  Now they have their first two babies, which  I am planning on keeping one or both of them, I haven't decided yet.  they are about a week and a half old now and seem to be doing well.  =)
I also have other pets but I will tell about them later.  I think I have babbled on enough for today, at least enough to explain the crazy bird lady status. lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment